Saturday, May 18, 2013

*Insert Witty Title Here*

So as some of you may (or may not) know, I am a field commander at my clan PWNT. By the way, if any of yous wishes to join a lovely clan filled with crazy but awesome people, come check out PWNT. Ok now that I got that out of the way, let's get to the more important stuff.

So last night I had to call battles. Wait what? What are you talking about? 
For those who aren't familiar, PWNT participates in clan wars and like all kinds of organized fighting, there is a command structure during times of seriousness. Generally a deputy commander or field commander will take charge of the entire fight and call the shots with roughly 2 or 3 element leaders who are generally tasked with leading their respective groups. I'm very happy just staying as an element leader as the job generally only entitles directing fellow clanmates to focus fire and shoot at a specific target. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately if you want to see if that way), none of the usual commanders who called the whole battle were online yet we had our clan battles scheduled. So at first, I was reluctant to step up as it is a very stressful position. You spend much of your time directing people what to do and combine that with fighting directly on the front lines, it's a lot of work. 

So with that in mind, I decided it was a good idea to say no to calling battles and instead let my clanmate Newsomator call the battles. He wasn't very clear with some of his instructions during the battle but I feel that with practice, he should do a pretty good job of leading people. But nevertheless, after the first battle he felt that it was a better idea to just let me do the job of calling battles. Yikes!

So I reluctantly said yes but decided that it was probably the best idea. I reused the old strategy of just amassing tanks in the town area (we were fighting on Lakeville mind you) but this time, I devoted more tanks there with no artillery support. Like so:
  • 1 GW Tiger
  • 1 JgPzE100
  • 2 BatChat.25t
  • 1 T57 Heavy
  • 4 T110E5
  • 2 E-100
  • 2 IS-7
Granted there were just the few of us online (odd right?) so this was the only thing I had to work with. We were lucky however to face a team filled with tier 9 and tier 8 tanks so despite the fact that we were short handed, we still had a breeze fighting them. 

The next battle was a bit better as more of the clanmates were starting to come online. However there was a problem and that was we were fighting the folks for Hostile. Let's just say that I wasn't too keen on fighting them as they too amassed large number of tanks in the city area. They also brought along a good number of autoloader tanks which created a very big challenge. So how exactly does one beat autoloader tanks? Bring more of your own of course! So the tank setup looked a little something like this:
  • 1 AMX50B
  • 2 E-100
  • 3 T110E5
  • 4 T57 Heavy
  • 3 BatChat.25t
  • 1 JgPzE100
  • 1 B.Chat.155
So autoloader artillery plus 8 autoloader tanks. Muhahahaha. That was an evil laugh by the way. We did manage to win the battle in the end but it was a close one. Although we had crushed their city forces, they had crushed ours too. Fortunately I was prepared for this and we won by capturing their base using the tanks that I had positioned in the valley. I won't give away too much here with my valley strategy but just keep in mind that they have a very important job of helping me out whenever I need them. So I had done it. I managed to beat the one clan which I thought was one of the tougher clans we faced. This brought me to the final battle with the land owner. 

Now I didn't know anything about the strategy of the land owner but I assumed that it there would be a decent number of tanks in the city area. But for more durability, I tweaked my tank setup a little. I was now fielding:
  • 2 E-100
  • 4 T110E5
  • 4 T57 Heavy <-- these babies are very useful for support you know
  • 2 BatChat.25t
  • 1 Tortoise <-- this thing fights on par with tier 10 tanks which is why we use it
  • 1 B.Chat.155
  • 1 T92
Sadly our T92 got counter battery-ed very early on but we were still able to manage. Fighting in the city is very stressful and requires careful thinking. You also want to lure the enemies out in the open so your artillery and any other support forces outside the city can help out. It was an extremely close call but I did re-learn one thing and that was focus fire really makes a huge difference. We managed to knock out 4 of their tanks in a matter of seconds and I believe it was at that moment that I managed to secure a foothold in our victory. It was a pretty eventful match filled with some funny moments but the final result was, we had won. 

I was very satisfied with myself and how I managed to refine a strategy and make it work. Plus I had gotten us land! If there was one thing that I learned with fighting in the city, it's that you must send in a large number of autoloaders to help out. Just like how people love to use big giant guns with long reload times in the city, autoloaders work to the same effect.   

No comments:

Post a Comment