Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Call of Duty Thoughts

Can't exactly have a blog that talks about games without talking about Call of Duty right? Oh I should probably warn you folks, if you are easily offended or have a faint of heart, then you probably shouldn't read this. My opinions are my own and if you don't like what you are reading, you are more than welcome to stop reading and leave. Now that I got that disclaimer out of the way, let's get started eh?

So I remember when Call of Duty 2 came out. I had walked into a nearby Best Buy and walked up to the nearest Xbox 360 that was available to try. They had loaded the demo for CoD 2 and I was amazed by the graphics (I was a kid back then). It was then that I developed a slight interest in FPS games. Several years later, I got my hands on CoD 2 and quite honestly, it was pretty good. The campaign had a reasonable length to it and playing a WWII themed FPS game, who could say no?

Then came greed. Somewhere along the lines, EA, Activision or Treyarch (I honestly don't care which and I'll explain why later) got greedy and poof, we now have a new CoD game coming out every year. So why don't I care who got greedy? Mostly because once you create a video game, the consumer only cares about the game itself and not the workings behind it. Certainly EA gets 99% of the blame especially with the fact that it got rated in the top 10 worst companies in the US but let's face it, the developer should have also put in more effort in the single-player campaign rather than just recycling multi-player content and just over pricing them.

Unfortunately, CoD has gotten so mainstream (or whatever word you wish to use), that every 12 year old will convince their mommy and daddy to fork out $60 everytime a new CoD has been released. Oh and add in an extra $50 for DLC's and you've got enough money to feed an African country right there.

Of course I'm not trying to bash CoD. CoD itself is a pretty decent game, but constantly reusing the same formula and going with the idea of "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it" just gets boring and repetitive over time. Life is all about taking risks, not trying to scam people into spending more money. Although granted, I still like the health system in CoD. In theory, it's so much easier to survive then say Counter Strike for example as you can actually heal just by standing there and not get hit. But for the most part, CoD needs new ideas and ones that don't involve trying to scam players. Money is difficult to come by and as a publisher, EA should be more understanding of this but they aren't. They care too much about money and as a result, the quality of games has decreased dramatically. We'll never see a "Super Mario World " type game from EA anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment